Did you know March is Women in History Month?! We have been working on Biographies A LOT, because it is such a great and easy way for kids to have CHOICE in their writing/research. See my last few posts about Biographies! If you are not on the Biography train, don't worry. You can still celebrate some AMAZING Women and their contributions to history.
I have these amazing Women in History Bubbleheads. Over 50 women to choose from to write research and use character traits. A character trait dictionary is included. You can use this to supplement research, as a culminating project, or a partner quick research. Those are just some ideas on how to use this. I left some resources below on websites, books, and dates.
The bundle below includes a lapbook for women in biography research that you can use to help assist you in looking for all the facts for your project. I love the lapbook because it aids students in the process and they know which steps they need to complete.
I love this book series for biographies. It is the Who Was... I call it the Bobblehead series because they look like bobbleheads on the front of the books. These books are awesome for a print source for research. They won't have every biography, but there are alot out in print.
Some great websites to try!
- https://www.womenshistory.org/ (A great website about different women and their contributions to history!
- (Great resource for elementary students to explain what it is and how it started!)
- https://kids.nationalgeographic.com/history/topic/women-heroes (Great biographies on Women Heroes!)
Some Important Dates for this month:
- The National Woman's Party was formed in March 1917. The group was dedicated to getting women the right to vote.
- March 1st: Title IX was passed in 1972
- March 3rd: The first major march on Washington by suffragists happened on this date in 1913.
- March 8th: International Women's Day Itwas established as a holiday in 1911.
- March 22nd: The Equal Rights Amendment was passed in 1972.
Have a great month celebrating women and all their accomplishments both past and present!